Fun Weekend Ideas!



Hello, everyone! This whole week I have been missing March Break terribly and wishing I could rewind time. It was just so relaxing and fun--especially not having homework for a whole entire week! Unfortunately, the break is over but that doesn't mean the fun has to end! I've been thinking about fun things to do on the weekend after a stressful and work-filled week and that's what today's post is all about. As much as having work to do and being productive is important, we all need a break from the stress and time to relax and do something fun. So, I've come up with a few ideas and recommendations if you are in need of a fun 'March Breekend'--get it?

1) Dinner and a movie!



+


My mom and I went on a dinner and movie date over the March Break and it was absolutely wonderful. We ate at Red Lobster (I recommend the Shrimp Linguine Alfredo) and after that we browsed in the mall for a bit since that was where the movie was playing. We watched Beauty and the Beast and oh..my..gosh. It was magical. The animation was incredible, the colours were vibrant, and the singing and acting was fabulous. It's a movie for everyone regardless of your age. I highly recommend watching this movie. You won't want to miss it!

2) Bake a treat!

I don't know about you but sometimes I just randomly feel like baking. I think it's because I look at a lot of incredibly mouth-watering recipes on Pinterest all the time. Whether it's a cake mix or from scratch I think baking is just so relaxing and the end result is always the best part. I'm going to recommend a pretty simple recipe to you all: Banana Bread! I absolutely love banana bread but this recipe is off-the-charts amazing! Definitely try it out!


3) Have a marathon of your favourite show!

This is probably my favourite thing to do on the weekend when I have little to no homework. You probably already do this but I'll use this as a chance to recommend some amazing shows to binge-watch. 
Gilmore Girls and Gossip Girl are the best shows to binge-watch and rewatch over and over. They are just incredibly addicting and you'll never get tired of them. Once Upon A Time is the perfect show for everyone because it's based on fairytales which is something everyone can enjoy. Baby Daddy is just hilarious and so cute. They just recently celebrated their 100th episode and season 6 is currently playing on TV. I highly recommend all of these shows!

4) Read a book!

You already know how much I love to read so this should come as no surprise. I am going to recommend two books that aren't very long and are so unputdownable that you'll definitely be able to finish them over the 2-day break (possibly even both of them if you want to). 



First up, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli.

Synopsis: Sixteen-year-old and not-so-openly gay Simon Spier prefers to save his drama for the school musical. But when an email falls into the wrong hands, his secret is at risk of being thrust into the spotlight. Now Simon is actually being blackmailed: if he doesn’t play wingman for class clown Martin, his sexual identity will become everyone’s business. Worse, the privacy of Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been emailing, will be compromised.

With some messy dynamics emerging in his once tight-knit group of friends, and his email correspondence with Blue growing more flirtatious every day, Simon’s junior year has suddenly gotten all kinds of complicated. Now, change-averse Simon has to find a way to step out of his comfort zone before he’s pushed out—without alienating his friends, compromising himself, or fumbling a shot at happiness with the most confusing, adorable guy he’s never met.

My Review: 

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens AgendaSimon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
My rating: 4 of 5 stars 

This made me feel like I was on happy pills. It's honestly such a cutesy read filled with great dialogue, awesome friendships, pop culture references, and diversity!!! Also, I love that for the most part people were accepting of Simon's sexuality. I felt that everything was very realistic, the relationships especially. Overall, super cute and adorable read.

"The way I feel about him is like a heartbeat—soft and persistent, underlying everything." ~ Becky Albertalli

View all my reviews

Next, I'll Give You The Sun by Jandy Nelson.

Synopsis: Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them. But three years later, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways . . until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else—an even more unpredictable new force in her life. The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins don't realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could just find their way back to one another, they’d have a chance to remake their world.

This radiant novel from the acclaimed, award-winning author of The Sky Is Everywhere will leave you breathless and teary and laughing—often all at once.

My Review:


I'll Give You the SunI'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Incredibly poetic and imaginative. This book is really like no other. It's beautifully and vividly written, with raw and emotional scenes that tug at your heart, yet also so inspiring and artistic at the same time. It's a wonderful coming of age story and a true masterpiece. When I'm not reading it I'm thinking about it. It's spellbinding and relatable and just perfection. I wish every book I read was like this book but then it wouldn't be as special as it is. This is a book everyone should read. I'd give this book a gazillion stars.

P.S. Do not listen to Troye Sivan after reading this book unless you want to a have huge sob-fest. If you do want to bawl your eyes out then I recommend watching the Blue Neighbourhood Trilogy and listening to Swimming Pools. Even thinking about it makes me feel emotional. 

View all my reviews

I hope you enjoyed today's post and got some ideas on how to spend your March Breekend! I hope you all had a great day today and have a great weekend. I wish you well!

love xena

3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your break-- we 'gots more coming next week luv; J-O-Y! Love all four you mentioned, switching the baked goods for some homemade ice cream of the citrus kind to avoid death by dough. I think right around now is a great time for Stranger Things II to begin. Can't wait esp as my fav shows are all wrapping up in another week. ~sigh When is the actual date? Do you know? Love you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sutz! I am looking forward to Easter with you! Stranger Things Season 2 isn't coming out until Halloween this year unfortunately. We're going to have to find a new series to binge-watch. Love you xx

      Delete
  2. All the way into what?! Halloween? No way! This is devastating! I could learn how to fly the A380-800 by then and take Grampy for a wild ride. haha Will have to figure something out. Enjoy the wrapping up of your school year. Well done! Love you lots. xo

    ReplyDelete

Xena Roberts. Powered by Blogger.